CASE STUDY – WALMART CANADA FUEL CELL FORKLIFT FLEET
The entire fleet of material handling equipment at the new Walmart Perishable Distribution Centre (PDC) in Balzac Alberta is powered by hydrogen fuel cells.
Using hydrogen produced by Air Liquide from 98% hydroelectric power, the Plug Power GenDrive units – with fuel cells from Ballard Power Systems – are delivering significant operating cost savings and a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions.
- Greenhouse Gas Emission savings: 530 tonnes of CO2 per year
- ROI: Operating cost savings of $2 million dollars projected over a 7-year period
- Space savings: Eliminated battery-charging area creating more valuable warehouse space
- Increased productivity: Longer operation, no battery swapping, less than 3 minute refuelling
- Improved performance: Constant full power output throughout shift as low as -29˚C condition
- Improved brand: Commitment to provide products that sustain people and the environment